PROBEUSERS Archives

May 2012

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Julien Allaz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 09:56:17 -0600

Dear probe users,

Since a month, I have started a research associate position at CU
Boulder, and I am now in charge of a JEOL-8600. I am positive in hoping
some of you had used in the past couple years the Geller microanalytical
system (dQuant and dPict) and could help me.

We are facing a major computer issue, and we believe one of our computer
board is nearly dead (motherboard and/or some of the communication
boards installed by Geller to communicate with our JEOL). The computer
is freezing regularly every couple minutes or, if we are lucky, every
couple hours "only". We have already changed the power supply, changed
the memory (RAM), changed the hard drive, and freshly re-install all the
software / drivers... No change. We are now considering changing the
computer, and in the mean time getting the new version of dQuant / dPict
software from Geller.

My questions are...

a) Did any of you recently upgrade / install the version 7 of dQuant? We
are at version 3.41 and we wonder if this is really worse spending ca.
$20K for this upgrade: $10K for new boards, $2K for a new computer
(including installation), $5K for the software, and ca. $2K for a new
electrometer...

b) Does any of you know how we can (and IF we can) do peak overlap
correction within the Geller software? If so, do we need the newest
software version for this?

c) Does anyone had tried to upgrade to J. Donovan system (Probe for
EPMA)? To work with the JEOL-8600, we need either a TN-5600 PAC system
(cheap upgrade) or a hardware upgrade from Advance Microbeam. Some
colleague already recommended me the Advance Microbeam upgrade, but this
one is pretty expensive (and we are already thinking about applying for
an MRI for a new probe). Any thought on that?

Thank you for your consideration,

Julien

--
Dr. Julien Allaz