PROBEUSERS Archives

July 2011

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Steven Cogswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 06:09:53 -0300

Hi folks;

I'll add my two cents on this topic.  We recently had a problem with our 733
that it wouldn't switch over to the diffusion pump within the 30-minute
timespan when rough pumping, but would usually get it after restarting with
the key.   The problem actually turned out to be one of the thin-windows on
the gas-flow spectrometer counters.  Counter window had a defect was leaking
just enough P10 into the chamber to make the vacuum poor.   We replaced the
counter with one with a good window and it went back to pumping down like a
champ.

Easy way to check this is just to take the external hose off the outside of
the spectrometer and bridge it with a small piece of hose.  If it pumps down
great that way, check your interior hoses/counter.

I think our 733 gets from atmosphere to the diffusion pump switchover in
nine minutes, and we get the ready light by about 15 minutes (6 minutes
after switchover to diffusion pump).   That's from memory so I might be off
a bit.

Best regards,
Steven Cogswell, P.Eng.