PROBEUSERS Archives

July 2011

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
"Wessel, Jeffrey C" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2011 14:46:24 -0700

 Hello Anthony,

	I don't know what instrument you're using so this may not be of use. I operate an 8600 and during a recent bout of truly night-marish vacuum problems I resorted to putting the instrument into manual mode through the set of DIP switches behind the front panel.  (Even in manual mode I had to wait 20 minutes for the DP light to come even if the DP was already up to operating temperature) You have to be very confident of what the appropriate  valving sequence is and you certainly lose some protection, but in this instance I felt like I had to do it simply to trouble-shoot the problems. The great thing about the DIP switches is that you start with everything closed, open the valves as appropriate, and when everything is in the final state you can simply flip DIP #1 from manual to auto on the fly and you're back in business.  I don't know for sure but I think you'll have more time to pump down before the instrument complains. BTW, During my recent problems I learned that JEOL has a new roughing pump for something like 1,500 bucks in stock if that's of interest.

Good luck

Jeff Wessel