PROBEUSERS Archives

January 2021

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Radek Michallik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2021 07:52:36 -0600
Hi everyone,

I compiled an excel file based on the blue book "X-ray emission and absorption wavelengths and L-value tables" ranging up to 30keV excitation energy and 10th order lines. This files does not include any macro. It is entirely based on normal formulas.

I always liked to use the blue JEOL book in order to find background positions but it is at times tedious, especially when working with a CAMECA and a JEOL machine and having to convert the positions every time. So I made a digital version based on that book.

I checked and crosschecked the Lambda-values by comparing with calculated Xtal positions and calculated keV excitation energies (an example is in Sheet3). There is a rounding error in the last digit in the book at least at the following elements, but I trust the calculated values more:
47 AG KB3, 49 IN KB1, 50 SN KB2, 46 PD LB6, 92 U LB2.

So far I did not find any more of my own errors (they are marked red in Sheet3), but use it at your own responsibility.

I included only the crystals that I need, for JEOL: LIF, LIFH, PET, PETH, TAP, LDE1, LDE2, LDEB; and for CAMECA: LIF, PET, TAP, PC0, PC2, PC3. But it is not a problem to include another crystal (I left a placeholder in the formula (in column B) called "crystal" for the if-statements required)

How does it work?

You simply fill out the green marked fields and the list will give you the position (marked grey in the list) within the range +- that you want to look up. The fields to type in are:

In row 6 for the element to be analyzed:
Element (i.e. SI or si or Si)
Line (i.e. KA1 but remember that for the elements Be, B, C, N, O, F there exist only a KA, so typing in "KA1" will result in an error)
Order N (i.e. 1)

Then choose from the drop-down menu the machine (JEOL or CAMECA)
Then choose from the drop-down menu the crystal (i.e. LDE1 or PC0; the choice changes based on the machine you choose)
Then choose the maximum order you want to have displayed (up to 10th order, i.e. 6)
Then choose the accelerating Voltage, equal to excitation energy in keV (up to 30kV, i.e. 15)
Then choose the background position (remember that JEOL has millimetres, i.e. upper 2 or lower bg -2; CAMECA has sinus theta angle, i.e.700)
Then choose the Width +- values you would like to check from around the background position (i.e. 3 for JEOL or i.e. 1000 for CAMECA; a negative value typed in here will not display anything)

The result should be like looking into the book, but with the comfort of eliminating unwanted lines based on order and excitation energy.

I left the calculation formulas slightly gray in column B and the "Rule-set" for conditional formatting of the cells that are in the list that is displayed (row 17 to row 501 in columns D to AE) as well as the column name( for the corresponding columns in the Data-sheet) in row 14.

Just make sure the Data-sheet is sorted based on the Lambda-Values from small to large.

Feel free to improve this little tool or do whatever you like with it.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

I hope this little tool will help the one or another microprobe-user out there.

All the best,

Radek Michallik

****