PROBEUSERS Archives

June 2008

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:09:21 -0500
From:
Ellery Frahm <[log in to unmask]>
7bit

Hi Eric,

> One "simple" way for a user to get low totals on EMP is to have the
> sample out of focus during the analysis.  We find some students
> focusing with BSE or in transmitted light instead of reflected
> light, or simply failing to check focus.  With the SX-100 we use an
> autofocus system but some students turn off that option.  Once the
> low total is obtained, one should immediately check in reflected
> light to see if the sample is still in focus after the analysis
> before moving the sample.

This researcher is experienced enough to check for all those problems,
and we're talking about bad results on a few specific samples (and not
others run at the same time) over several sessions.  But I'll still
advice him to pay extra attention to these points next time.

> Another problem is that students (and sometimes their advisors)
> handle the sample, imparting oils to the carbon coat and causing
> charging that is difficult to see if the sample doesn't fluoresce
> (or we find that the user pays no attention to the flickering or
> moving luminescence!).  One can find salt crystals in swirls in some
> cases.  The only check for that is to repolish, reclean (a step that
> lots of folks forget), recoat, and then immediately reanalyze.

A possibility.  I'll suggest that he repolish and reclean the samples
in case of their surfaces weren't totally clean.

Thanks,
Ellery