PROBEUSERS Archives

October 2016

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
"Straszheim, Warren E [BIOTC]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2016 22:29:06 +0000
How are you sure that the sample is really pure ThO2? 96% pure sounds pretty good. Are there no other elements present? What does EDS or a wavescan show? If they show nothing, and if there are no invisible elements (e.g., H), then I suppose you could declare it was really 100% pure.

The fact that your standard measures again at 96% shows the repeatability of your process. It looks like you are being consistent.

Under the Solaris version of the JEOL software, there is a way to go in and edit the standard data. If you were to set the standard intensity to 96.1% of what it is currently, you should be able to reanalyze (or reprocess) the current data so that the standard comes up as 100% ThO2. (There may also be a way to change the composition of the standard back to 100%, but I have never tried to do that.)

However, I would be very careful to make sure that the action is justified. It would be erroneous to define your standard as pure if it really is not.

Warren Straszheim
JXA-8200
Ames Lab
Ames, IA