PROBEUSERS Archives

June 2017

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
"Wayne D. Niemeyer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2017 20:35:05 +0000
Anette,

Our maintenance guru provided these comments based on experience with both type of systems at our facility.

The variable volume system can have better temperature control room to room provided that a control box is dedicated to each room. However, if you have a given variable volume control box feeding two rooms, where one room has a heat-producing device, and the other does not, you will struggle with one room being too hot or too cold. This struggle to balance temperatures in multiple rooms is worsened in some rooms because there are more rooms on a given “control box” (ie: rooftop HVAC unit). And if the heat-producing load itself is variable, there are bound to be problems. I would say we do a fair job on temperature control in the labs. I think a variable volume scheme would be better. The time to implement variable is at initial construction time. Retrofitting can be very expensive, I think.

Regards,

Wayne

Wayne D. Niemeyer | Senior Research Scientist

[Title: McCrone Associates, Inc. - Description: McCrone Associates, Inc.]
McCrone Associates, Inc. • 850 Pasquinelli Drive • Westmont, IL 60559
P. 630.887.7100 ext.2420 | F. 630.887.7417 | www.mccrone.com<http://www.mccrone.com/>
ISO/IEC 17025:2005 A2LA Accredited, Certificate #3631.01<http://www.mccroneassociates.com/sites/default/files/A2LA_Cert_3631-01.pdf> • FDA/GDUFA/DEA Registered<http://www.mccroneassociates.com/quality-program>
This email and any files attached may contain information that is legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, printing, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited without our permission.