PROBEUSERS Archives

April 2010

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Julien Allaz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:19:40 -0400

Hi,

I have used a JEOL-8200 for a while in Bern (Switzerland), now I am back on CAMECA SX-50 / SX-100. I regret that no such option exist on CAMECA :/ Nevermind...

if I good remember, you should find a shortcut for this application under menu "utility" in the menu window (or maybe it is under "JEOL").

Julien Allaz

On Apr 23, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Straszheim, Warren E [M S E] wrote:

> JEOL Probe Users Listserver
>
> Moderator: Ellery Frahm, [log in to unmask],
> Electron Microprobe Lab, University of Minnesota
>
> Post a message: send your message to [log in to unmask]
>
> Unsubscribe: send "SIGNOFF PROBEUSERS" to [log in to unmask]
>
> On-line help and FAQ: http://probelab.geo.umn.edu/listserver.html
>

> *
>
> I have recently taken on operation of the 8200 at Ames Lab in addition to my regular duties with the Materials Lab at ISU. While I am VERY comfortable performing EDS on an SEM, at least with the Oxford system we have on our Hitachi, I find myself VERY much a rookie on the probe. I know a lot of the basic concepts for probe analyses and have been trying to 'translate' what I have had to do for EDS to the probe. However, dealing with WDS and the JEOL software and Unix has definitely been a major learning curve for me.
>
> That said, I have a quite basic problem today. I normally abide by the rule that if you don't know what something is, don't mess with it. However, I discovered the SwingMouse application running on the system today. I had not noticed it before and thought perhaps another user had started it. It looked cute, but I did not think it necessary, so I closed it. Of course, now I understand how it permitted me to swing the mouse from the Sun screens over to the JEOL EM screen. Now the question is how do I get it back?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and showing mercy to a novice.
> Warren Straszheim

Dr. Julien Allaz
Department of Geosciences
University of Massachusetts