PROBEUSERS Archives

September 2008

PROBEUSERS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
"Owen P. Mills" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 17:12:29 -0400

All,

I've got a problem with a Taylor standard block, specifically Gd2O3 on the
block.  The surface of the remainder of the block is pretty good, but
Gd2O3 is not.  It almost looks swollen and is very rough, even pitted.
I'm not sure I ever noticed because we've never needed it.  I need it now
(I mean right now) and have got to get in in better shape but I don't want
to screw up the rest of the block.  Maybe it would be best to make a
separate mount of only Gd2O3 material? Do you have any ideas?

I'd really like to start a discussion of how to get multi-element standard
blocks in good shape and keep them that way.  I am not a polishing expert
and don't particularly want to be but I really don't want to trust this to
someone else.  Perhaps I could send them out to be re-polished?  Who could
do that?

Thanks!

Owen Mills
Michigan Tech University