PUBPOL-L Archives

March 2003

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
John Wilmerding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Wilmerding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:32:34 -0500
_-- Public Policy Network - Posting to [log in to unmask] --_

Those who have nothing to say should not tell others to say nothing.

I am making use of this list to review and debate topics in public policy, I think we can take Michael Shires' efforts to censor this list at the very least 'with a grain of salt' ...

The list description says "... topics covered in posting include current public policy issues, events and conferences, research, teaching, curriculum and courses, employment and career opportunities, activities of public policy practitioners, announcements of relevant Internet resources, and other topics of interest."

How convenient for his point that he omits "topics" including:

(1) current public policy issues;
(2) research;
(3) teaching, curriculum and courses;
(4) employment and career opportunities;
(5) activities of public policy practitioners;
(6) announcements of relevant Internet resources;
... and, of course ...
(7) other topics of interest.

I've been on this list on and off for five years.  During that time it has been pretty much dead.  Just during the past year or so its subscribership has dropped 25% ... but it's still over 600, which makes it potentially a very useful resource for responsible discussion of important public policy issues.

I suggest that particularly during this national and international emergency, we continue to use it for public policy debates ... at least to some extent.  Internet e-lists everywhere have proven that they can "self-moderate" (which is the stated principle of this list).

The list is especially needed now that the practical weakening of anti-trust legislation has resulted in major corporate interests owning nearly all the mass media outlets in the USA, and thus stifling any public policy debates in those fora.  That's another discussion in and of itselt.

John Wilmerding

P.S.:  Oh, and Michael, since you are at Pepperdine, you really should know that your use of 'sight' is incorrect.  It was presumably 'web sites' you were speaking of.  Moreover, email lists are not regarded as web sites.