PUBPOL-L Archives

June 1998

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
gene shackman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
gene shackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:40:38 EDT
   _-- Public Policy Network - Posting to [log in to unmask] --_

I had asked about research about program retention, why people stay
in or leave human or social service programs.

A number of people sent me email asking to post results of my query.
There is a lot on retention in drug treatment programs and about
retention in education, but I was looking for lit about human or
social services.  I found the following references in a Medline search:

Kisker EE. The effectiveness of family planning clinics in serving
adolescents.  Fam Plann Perspect 1984 Sep;16(5):212-218
Two of the same factors--developing an active relationship with youth
groups and opening the clinic to teenagers on evenings and  weekends--
were also found to be particularly effective in keeping  teenagers as
clinic patients

Lamb JM, Albrecht SA, Sereika S. Consideration of factors prior to
implementing a smoking cessation program. J Sch Nurs 1998 Feb;14(1):
14-19  School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
This small feasibility study evaluated access, recruitment, and
retention of pregnant African-American teens for a subsequent smoking
cessation intervention program.

Middlemiss W. Parental educational program: effectiveness and retention.
Psychol Rep 1996 Jun;78(3 Pt 2):1307-1310. Department of Psychology and
Counselor Education, Central Missouri State University, Warrensburg, MO
64093, USA.

Shea JA, Herceg-Baron R, Furstenberg FF Jr. Factors associated with
adolescent use of family planning clinics. Am J Public Health 1984
Nov;74(11):1227-1230

A few others made suggestions.  Thanks for these...

Gene,  I recommend Tinto's work (books and articles)
on why students leave college.  It's generic enough
(based on Durkheim's theory of suicide) to apply to
exiting any kind of program.  Jerry Krause,
Professor of Sociology, Humboldt State University.

Fraser, James. 1997.  "Methadone Clinic Culture:
The Everyday Realities of Female Methadone Clients."
Qualitative Health Research, 7(1), February 1997
121-139.

I agree that Tinto started the seeds of a theoretical
model, along with Alexander Astin and others.  I'm
attaching a list of exact references for you.  However,
Margaret Brooks Terry and I took that model further and
integrated the work of those who went before us, in an
article called "A Student Retention Model for Higher
Education,"   College and University, Summer 1987:
90-305.   Janet Billson

gene shackman