WBI-NEWSLETTER Archives

April 2022, Week 2

WBI-NEWSLETTER@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
Well-Being Initiative Newsletter <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Law Well-Being Initiative - WBI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:27:38 -0500
WBI Weekly Digest

The Final Countdown

Well-Being Wednesday

Hang in there, it is the final countdown! We are almost finished with the
semester. Keep your head up, we believe in you!

Physical

This Sunday, April 17th at 11 am, we will be going on a walk at Lake of the
Isles
<https://www.minneapolisparks.org/parks__destinations/parks__lakes/lake_of_the_isles_park/>.
We encourage anyone to join, please reach out!

Song of the Week

The Final Countdown by Europe <https://youtu.be/9jK-NcRmVcw>, of course!

Advice Column

Hey friends!

I tend to overburden myself with tasks that I deem to be helpful to others,
so I have made it a practice to incorporate doing things that fill my cup.
So, this is just a reminder to participate in experiences and hobbies that
fill YOUR cup. Law school can feel overwhelming, so taking a break to do
something you enjoy can be beneficial. For me that includes crafts, working
out, watching The Home Edit, and creating mediocre TikTok videos.

If you are the type of person who doesn’t relax by doing things, like I do,
but rather need a long period of solitude and calm, try to schedule that in
too. Finding time to do things to take care of yourself can be difficult
and the first thing that is put to the side, but in the final stretch of
the semester, please attempt to prioritize your well-being.

I believe in each and every one of you,

Sierra Grandy

Any questions, concerns, or topics that you’d like some advice on, feel
free to submit them here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfAqNgKEby8bdtoGJcXV6fRwYDX51qRnYgyxJEhcTgovMeKCw/viewform>!
You’ll get real advice, and maybe some memes for your situation.
Resources

NAMI Connections Group for University of Minnesota Law Students

The NAMI Connection group offers peer-led support for law students living
with mental health disorders who attend the University of Minnesota Law
School.

NAMI Connection is a recovery support group for adults with a mental
illness regardless of their diagnosis. This group is offered free of charge
and is led by trained individuals who are also in recovery – people who
understand the challenges folks with mental illness face.

This is a hybrid model. You can join in-person or via Zoom.

There is a 20 person limit. We still have plenty of room!

No need to register – simply show up!

Who: UMN law students living with mental illness

What: Peer-led support group!

When: 1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month; 5-6:30pm

Where: Mondale Hall Room 475

This group is completely confidential. It is not therapy.

Click here to see other NAMI Connection Groups offered in Minnesota.
<https://namimn.org/support/nami-minnesota-support-groups/>

"Character and Fitness" Wellness Group

   -

   Held every Wednesday at 12:30 at Mondale Hall.
   -

   A student-run, safe, strictly confidential, judgment-free, 12-step based
   group welcomes anyone struggling with substance use or in recovery.
   -

   Hybrid meeting. Contact [log in to unmask] for room location and
   Zoom info, or other inquiries.
   -

   In-person attendees must wear a mask while inside the building; see UMN's
   Face Covering Protocol
   <https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/face-coverings>.

Let’s Talk  <https://counseling.umn.edu/LetsTalk>

   -

   What: Let’s Talk Counselor in Mondale Hall
   -

   Who: Ms. Kifaya Bishop, Multicultural Counselor from Student Counseling
   Services
   -

   When: Every Thursday from 1-3pm
   -

   Where: N20 in the Wellness Room
   -

   No appointment necessary. Drop in.

Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers <https://www.mnlcl.org>

   -

   LCL offers resources on substance use and compulsive behaviors, mental
   illness, stress, and well-being
   -

   Support Groups <https://www.mnlcl.org/support-groups/#adhd_support>
   -

      ADD/ADHD Support Group: 2nd and 4th Fridays at noon via Zoom
      (Pre-Registration is required for this group)
      -

      Well-Being Group: Thursdays 12:00-1:00 via Zoom
      -

   Need assistance now? Call 651-646-5590 or 800-525-6466
   -

   For 24-hour phone counseling, call Sand Creek
   <https://www.mnlcl.org/services/counseling/> at 651-430-3383 or
   888-243-5744
   -

      If asked, say you were referred by LCL

Boynton Mental Health
<https://boynton.umn.edu/clinics/boynton-mental-health>

   -

   To schedule your first appointment, call 612-624-1444
   -

   Offering in-person and telehealth
   -

   Individual and couples therapy available (10-session-per-year limit for
   each type)
   -

   Eating disorder services, ADD/ADHD treatment, alcohol and chemical
   health services, and group therapy available

Looking for a Therapist?

Learn about the various types of mental health professionals and types of
treatments available.

   -

   Types of Mental Health Professionals
   <https://www.mhanational.org/types-mental-health-professionals>
   -

   Types of Mental Health Treatments
   <https://www.mhanational.org/mental-health-treatments>

Psychology Today Find a Therapist Search Tool
<https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/mn/minneapolis>

   -

   Psychology Today is a great resource to find a therapist
   -

   Filter by specific location, accepted insurance, specialty, issues, age,
   gender, sexuality, language spoken, ethnicity, faith, and more

Fast Tracker  <https://fasttrackermn.org/>

   -

   Search tool for mental health and substance use disorder resources in
   Minnesota

Crisis Resources <https://counseling.umn.edu/crisis-services>

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

   -

   1-800-273-8255
   -

   Text ‘MN’ 741741
   -

   Chat Online <https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/chat/>
   -

   Call any time, for any reason

Sand Creek 24/7 Phone Counseling

   -

   651-430-3383 or 888-243-5744
   -

   If asked, say LCL referred you

Community Spaces - NEW!

Community Spaces is a new initiative at the law school! It is for anyone
who is interested in getting together with other Minnesota Law students and
building community.

Third Thursday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm in Room 3

AND

Third Friday of the Month from 12:15-1:15pm Virtually (
https://z.umn.edu/communityspaces)

Dates: April 21st & 22nd

NAMI Ramsey County Book Club – First Thursday of the Month
<https://www.namiramseycounty.org/bookclub.html>

“Join us on the first Thursday of each month to discuss books with a mental
illness theme. Learn through compassionate conversation. See which book
we’re reading at namiramseycounty.org/bookclub.”

   -

   Next sessions: April 7, May 5, June 2, July 7, Aug. 4 - Registration Link
   <https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwodO6urDorEtyQqm0nsxpK8206JslSdDjU>

NAMI Educational Courses
<https://namimn.org/education-and-public-awareness/classes/https-namimn-org-education-and-public-awareness-classes-all-scheduled-classes/>

NAMI offers numerous educational courses for a wide variety of audiences,
all relating to mental health. Check out their current schedule to find a
course that looks interesting to you! (Practically all the courses are
free!)

WBI has created a Resources Page on our website
<https://sites.google.com/umn.edu/wbi/resources> where law students can
always go to find support.

UMN Law Well-Being Initiative

Are your friends interested in receiving this newsletter? They can sign up
here. <https://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=WBI-NEWSLETTER&A=1>

READ MORE ON OUR WEBSITE  <https://sites.google.com/umn.edu/wbi/home>

<https://www.facebook.com/umnWBI/?ref=page_internal>
<https://www.instagram.com/petsofmondale/>