WEBSTANDARDS Archives

September 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Sara Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:50:46 -0500
That's something I actually want to talk about sometime - one thing I've
been concerned with as we do a redesign at SPH (getting us all on the
same page, technology and design-wise) is that phones have such a range
of support for how web pages are navigated and what they do, and from
what I've tried on my corner of SPH in the past has looked good in some
simple browsers (like on my truly awful phone), but is way too simple
for an iPhone interface - and the mobile stylesheet in whatever form it
exists in becomes the style sheet even for phones, like the iPhone, that
do a great job of letting people browse the web as it exists for desktops.

Does this make any sense?  It's something I've been struggling with in
my head - what the optimal compromise is for those style sheets.

Zachary Johnson wrote:
> If we're going to have a group meeting themed around Mobile Web I'd be
> happy to go over some of my notes on making websites mobile friendly
> through source code ordering that I talked about a bit two years ago
> at MinneWebcon.
>
> Zach

Sara Hurley, MFA
612-625-7709