WEBSTANDARDS Archives

November 2011

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Peter Fleck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:50:20 -0500
Very nice! Worked great on my Macbook (OS X 10.6, latest Firefox) and old iPod Touch (iOS 3).

But although they state that it's Android compatible, Android 2.2.2 (Virgin Mobile) broke it. No resize of the window at all and very difficult to navigate. Would be curious to know if it works as advertised on later Android versions.

For you WP folks, here's the link to where you can purchase the theme.

http://store.informationarchitects.net/product/ia%C2%B3-template/

Peter

On Nov 4, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Bradford Hosack wrote:

> Cool to see so much interest in this. A large portion of the learning environments we build already utilize repositioning and style sheet swapping, as well as javascript for element swapping based on browser resizing. I would like to get involved and share past and present successes and failures, though my schedule is insanely busy.
>
> In the mean time, here is a fantastic execution of a site that works equally for desktop AND mobile all in one version. It is a wordpress template, BUT the functionality doesn't have to be. Resize the window as small as it will go to see content and menu structures magically adjust right before your eyes!
> http://www.informationarchitects.jp/en/
>
> Brad
> Lead New Media Developer
> LT Media Lab
>

> On Nov 4, 2011, at 10:33 AM, Dale Trexel wrote:
>
>> Hello Folks,
>>
>> I've been reading up about responsive web design lately, thinking about how we might make it work for the Law School. So, when Tony Thomas posted his slides from his recent talk to the Web Standards group, I was thankful, but disappointed at the fact that that I'd missed out on an opportunity to hear about and discuss the topic in person. (I've missed quite a few Web Standards meetings this semester because of my schedule.) I exchanged a few emails with him, and it turns out I'm not the only person who's interested in the topic and who contacted him after he posted his slides.
>>
>> It seems to me that responsive design is still young in development, and people who have tried it are largely re-inventing the wheel with bits and pieces of information scattered across the web. There are some libraries/frameworks out there that attempt to provide a baseline for newcomers to build off of, but the ones I've seen tend to focus on the shifting-boxes-around problem without really tackling the other issues related to responsive design (i.e., updating controls for touch vs. mouse interactions and dynamically altering content to simplify and shift emphasis as screen sizes get small). What if we were to come together and build a framework that tackled all these issues using an approach that starts off with a basic U of MN design, but allows for personalization by colleges/departments?
>>
>> Are there other folks out there who would be interested in putting together a working group (or whatever you want to call it) that is focused on this issue? I'd be willing to give a shot at organizing such an effort. I have some ideas of my own for how such a framework should work, and I'd be happy to hear what other folks have to say.
>>
>> Dale Trexel
>> Web Manager
>> U of MN Law School

Peter Fleck