WEBSTANDARDS Archives

February 2013

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Susan Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:28:54 -0600
Greetings, Web Standards!

We wanted to take a minute to introduce ourselves to you.  We are Susan
Geller (UMN staff) and Sherwood Daniels (consultant), project directors
for the new Enterprise Portal project, a part of the Enterprise System
Upgrade Program (ESUP).  The U will be implementing a new portal in late
2014 and we are very much interested in consulting with you who are
involved in the web world at the U as we do this work.

We can see some of you rolling your eyes and shaking your head with "Heard
that before" or "Portal is so 10 yrs ago" or "Sure, right, with PeopleSoft
as the base?".  We can see some of you smiling and saying "Awesome, this
will be fun!".  No comment on which is in the majority :-)

We want to build something that meets peoples needs, a product of the
future, not one of the past.  We need your expertise to help make that
happen.  We are partnering with many groups to help to create the best the
U has to offer and we hope you'll join us.

Here are three opportunities:

1.  Design Thinking Workshops starting March 5.  Design Thinking is great
for figuring out the best shopping cart at the grocery store, for solving
complex social problems, and now, too, for gathering input on the portal
design!  We're gathering people from all over the U together to do some
rapid and rough prototyping as way of getting ideas on the table and also
of getting a quick pulse on what people want.  We are aiming for the
product that has not yet been imagined.  We'd love to have you at these
workshops. The first one is this Tuesday in St Paul and has plenty of
space. There are other sessions through April around the state.  Space is
limited and they are filling fast. Registration is required.  More
info here<http://z.umn.edu/portal>
.

2.  We'll be coming to the May meeting of WebStandards to get your ideas,
to share some challenges and to brainstorm some solutions.  Please join us
there.

3.  At any time, please share your ideas with us
here<https://sites.google.com/a/umn.edu/portal/home/feedback>.
If your idea was captured on a card at our kickoff, then we have it
already, but if you aren't sure about that or want to elaborate, please
connect with us again.

--Susan Geller and Sherwood Daniels
Portal Project Directors

--
Susan B. Geller
Project Director, Enterprise Portal, University of Minnesota