WEBSTANDARDS Archives

November 2011

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Joe Goggins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:42:36 -0600
Dear Folks Responsible for Migrating Your Infrastructure to Shibboleth :)

A few weeks ago we sent a survey to the net-people, code-people, and
web-standards lists, and the ITLA asking for input to help planning for a
Shibboleth Workshop. In reviewing the responses, we've identified several
key expectations for the workshop as well as early adopters in the
community willing to help out. Response summary
charts<https://sites.google.com/a/umn.edu/code-people/shibboleth-workshop/survey-response-summary>
are
available if you are interested.

We were happy to find that the responses were in line with the workshop
format we were thinking of:

*Workshop Format*

We're bringing together folks from the IDM team and OIA Linux team, as well
as early adopters of Shibboleth across the University, to collaborate and
help kickstart the CAH to Shibboleth conversion process. The goal is for
you to leave with at least one Apache or IIS server set up and integrated
against the UMN test IdP.  We hope that the knowledge, people, approaches,
and tools you learn about during the workshop will save time in the
short-run and result in a more maintainable solution in the long-run.

   - 45m-1h lecture
      - Key concepts (Chris Bongaarts)
      - End-to-end implementation on Apache with Perl, also differences
      between IIS (Chris Bongaarts)
      - Language overview for PHP, Rails, ASP, and .NET (Joe Goggins)
      - Shibboleth SP config and deployment automation (Joe Goggins)

      - 2h hands-on learning
      - Pair-up with someone and get your Shibboleth on.
      - The IDM team will be available throughout the workshops to add your
      service provider metadata immediately.
      - A representative from the OIA Linux team will be available to
      assist in OIT Linux VM/Apache questions.
      - Early adopters who have volunteered to help will also be available
      to assist as well.

*REQUIRED before attending*

   - Working installations of the Apache or IIS Native Service provider
   installations on the servers you wish to configure during the workshop.
   This DOES NOT mean a fully working configuration, rather, that you've
   simply installed the package (or installer for IIS + setup the ISAPI
   filter). See this page for details:
   https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/Installation.
   - Sufficient privileges to restart Apache or IIS and the Shibboleth
   Daemon/Service.
   - A laptop with SSH or RDP that you can use to connect to your servers.
   - *You must RSVP below by November 29th at 5pm.*

*Recommended before attending*

   - Review the UMN Shibboleth Wiki https://wiki.umn.edu/view/ShibAuth.
   - Follow the instructions under "Before using this tool" on
   https://github.com/umn-asr/shibboleths_lil_helper to gather the
   information you are going to need during the workshop.

*When and Where*

We've reserved two active learning classrooms to conduct two 3 hour
workshops.

   - *Friday Dec 2nd, 9am-12pm* in Science Teaching Student Services, Room
   420A<http://wvprd.ocm.umn.edu/gpcwv/wv3_servlet/urd/run/wv_space.Detail?RoomID=1970>
(capacity
   27)
   Click here to RSVP<http://www.dtc.umn.edu/seminars/events.php?eventdesc=625>
   *
   *
   - *Monday Dec 5th, 1pm-4pm* in Science Teaching Student Services, Room
   512A<http://wvprd.ocm.umn.edu/gpcwv/wv3_servlet/urd/run/wv_space.Detail?RoomID=1946>
(capacity
   45)
   Click here to RSVP<http://www.dtc.umn.edu/seminars/events.php?eventdesc=626>

There are 72 seats available for these workshops, gett'em while they are
hot by clicking the above links to RSVP before Nov 29th!

If you have general questions about this workshop, please contact
[log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask] will receive messages as
well).
Alternatively, you can address email me ([log in to unmask]) or Chris
Bongaarts ([log in to unmask]) directly.

Cheers,

-joe (on behalf of the Code-People Committee and the OIT Identity
Management group)

--
Joe Goggins, Web Developer
Academic Support Resources