WEBSTANDARDS Archives

October 2012

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Gabe Ormsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:26:23 -0500
The next Web Standards meeting is coming up this Friday!

The Student Unions & Activities (SUA) web team will demonstrate the
awesome power of the University of Minnesota’s new Github Enterprise
service.

From the Git website:

"Git is a free and open source distributed version control system
designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with
speed and efficiency."

"Git is easy to learn and has a tiny footprint with lightning fast
performance. It outclasses SCM tools like Subversion, CVS, Perforce,
and ClearCase with features like cheap local branching, convenient
staging areas, and multiple workflows."

Github Enterprise is an on-campus version of Github.com. The SUA web
team will explain the basic concept of using distributed version
control and demonstrate how they use it in their workflow.

We're ordering sandwiches from Nelson's Cheese and Deli. Please RSVP
at the link below by noon tomorrow to make your sandwich selection and
help ensure we have a good attendance count.

Location: 101 Walter Library
Time: As always, food and networking from about 11:30 to noon, then
we'll start the presentation.

Please RSVP at:
http://www.saa.umn.edu/webstandards/register

Thanks,