WEBSTANDARDS Archives

September 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Craig Gjerdingen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 12:16:36 -0500
RE: "Focusing on the price point aspect of free..."

Note that, that is why I specifically worded my posting as, "...these tools are
all available for NO additional cost..."

and as far a SQL licensing goes...

MS SQL Express is free ($0) ... as are all the MS Express products... and if
your app grows to need a large scale fee based products they are available.
And the platform is so well supported that pretty much any database free or
licensed is able to be used. This is why RedHat exsists, why Oracle brought
MySQL, and Novell with SUSE and Mono.... etc, etc....

The cost of acquisition of software as a total cost of a project in the industry
if fairly well known, and I would argue with UofM pricing, is egligable to the
overall effort and cost.

The question being asked was about frameworks and so my response was
focused on providing an option.

Robustness, completeness, support and a health ecosystem are worth every
penny (IMHO), but the integrated platform experience from front end to back
is what pushes the value over the top for me.

Team productivity will quickly recapture the investment that you make up
front when starting with this setup. As will one major platform defect incident,
being resolved by the vendor rather than your team. No matter how cool it is
to get your name on a contrib to an open source project.

Don't get me wrong I love free software as much as the next bloke. But in
some cases I preferer the commercial market and what it has to offer, even
enough to recommend it to others! ;)

Here's to Rails, and PHP, and ASP.Net, all in all! It's a great time to be a
developer!

Cheers,
Craig

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:44:41 -0500, Aaron J. Zirbes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>... be careful with your claims of freedom.  Richard Stallman would not agree.
>
>Focusing on the price point aspect of free...
>
>To serve up a public facing, database backed web page at the U of M, only
$760 in licensing

>SQL Svr Web 2008R2 1Proc - $635.00
>Win Server Web 2008R2 - $30
>Visual Studio 2010 Pro - $0
>
>To serve up a public facing, database backed web page outside the U, just
over $5,000
>SQL Svr Web 2008R2 1Proc - $3,500.00
>Win Server Web 2008R2 - $469
>Visual Studio 2010 Pro - $1,199
>

>This can be restrictive when you are working on applications that will be
shared with 30+ other
>sites.  Most of which without Microsoft Site Licensing.
>
>--
>Aaron
>
>On 09/17/2010 04:52 PM, Craig Gjerdingen wrote:
>> I don't know if you're open to it, but I'm pretty partial to Microsoft .Net
>> framework and platform stack.
>>
>> Pretty much everything from the front end to the back end is totally
>> integrated. It is a wonderful developer/designer experience.
>>
>> Additionally, these tools are all available for NO additional cost to you as
UMN