WEBSTANDARDS Archives

April 2012

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Aaron Zirbes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:50:41 -0500
bus.umn.edu seems nice and available.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM, David Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>>    remember it later.
>>
>>    2. It offers an alternative to those who either aren't familiar with
>>    QR codes, don't want to go through the steps necessary to use them, or may
>>    be visually impaired.
>>
>>    There are several actions necessary to scan a QR code. Stop, pull out
>>    the phone, find a third-party app (of which there are hundreds), take a
>>    photo or scan the code and hope that it properly decodes it and takes the
>>    user to the proper place. Some people (myself included) are willing to do
>>    that. A lot of people are not.
>>
>> This is not meant to argue against using them. It's just information I
>> found helpful.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Darren Byrnes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> **
>>> Would this help??
>>>
>>> http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
>>>
>>> Get the needed code, export and resize in a graphics program...or is
>>> that too simple??
>>>
>>> - Darren Byrnes
>>>

>>> On 4/3/12 10:45 AM, Jacqueline Brudlos wrote:
>>>

>>> Hello, everyone.  I'm a new member to this listserv (Thanks, Pete!) and
>>> I have a dilemma/question (I did try to search through the archive first,
>>> but didn't find anything to help me).
>>>
>>> Parking and Transportation Services is working to launch NextBus, a
>>> feature showing students/staff where all of the shuttle buses are in
>>> real-time.  See the whole system on your desktop computer, call a number at
>>> a particular bus stop and hear "next bus arrives in 2 minutes" OR scan the
>>> QR code and get info on your smartphone.
>>>
>>> Is anyone an expert on those QR codes?
>>>
>>> Admittedly, I'm completely in the dark on this technology/marketing tool
>>> (my phone doesn't even take pictures - that's how outdated I am - LOL).
>>>
>>> My plan was to work with the Sign Stop to revise the current signage at
>>> the campus shuttle stops - specifically adding a graphic overlay to each
>>> sign.  BUT these signs are typically 6-8 feet off the ground.  Upon further
>>> research online, it sounds to me like I'll need to make the barcode around
>>> 8 inches square.  Does anyone use these codes personally or professionally?
>>>  Does it work from a distance?  Does the code need to be THAT large?
>>>
>>> Based on what I found online today, it sounds to me that my plan to
>>> revise the current signage won't work.  I think I'm going to have to make a
>>> second 8.5x11 size sign.
>>>
>>> I'm just trying to not waste time/money on doing this wrong.  Does
>>> anyone have any advice for me?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Jacqueline
>>> ===========
>>> JACQUELINE BRUDLOS
>>> Communications Manager  |  Parking and Transportation Services
>>> University of Minnesota
>>> 511 Washington Ave SE  |  300 TSB  |  Minneapolis, MN 55455
>>> 612-624-4161 (direct)  |  612-626-PARK (main)  |  612-624-8899 (fax)

Aaron J. Zirbes
Application, Systems and Security Engineer
Environmental Health Sciences | University of Minnesota
200 Oak St SE Suite
350<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=200+Oak+St+SE+Ste+350,+Minneapolis,+MN+55455-2008&hl=en&sll=44.974445,-93.227263&sspn=0.000000,0.000000&ie=UTF8&view=map&ftid=0x52b32d18ed65daa7:0xcb58ccc2174b5373&ftt=180&geocode=FW1BrgIdAXdx-g&split=0&hq=&hnear=200+SE+Oak+St+%23350,+Minneapolis,+Hennepin,+Minnesota+55455&z=16&iwloc=A>