WEBSTANDARDS Archives

September 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Craig Gjerdingen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:52:14 -0500
I don't know if you're open to it, but I'm pretty partial to Microsoft .Net
framework and platform stack.

Pretty much everything from the front end to the back end is totally
integrated. It is a wonderful developer/designer experience.

Additionally, these tools are all available for NO additional cost to you as UMN
staff. But you have to ask for Visual Studio 2010 professional edition from
[log in to unmask] because they don't list it on
https://download.software.umn.edu/ any more (now it is in netfiles)

In particular the combination of the powerful Visual Studio 2010 IDE, .Net
framework 4.0, Entity Framework or NHibernate, and ASP.Net MVC 2 are a
formidable offering. Again all of this has NO added cost to you. It's all free.

There are a ton of IOC and ORM offerings in the .Net space so you can easily
choose one to your liking.

MEF and Unity (dependency injector) are fairly cool too.

Support, Training, Developer Communities, Books, knowledgeable consultants,
campus expertise, 3rd party vendors are all available.

One configuration you might want to look at to get started (where someone
else has done the work of picking the pieces for you) would be to look at
http://SharpArchitecture.net/ which is stored on GitHub at
http://github.com/codai/Sharp-Architecture

Before you choose Ruby/Rails I suggest you investigate deployment difficulties.