WEBSTANDARDS Archives

September 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 13:10:28 -0500
From:
"Aaron J. Zirbes" <[log in to unmask]>
As an avid user of GIMP, I'll say that GIMP can _mostly_ read photoshop images.  I've had problems
with about 5% of the .PSD files I've come across.  Gimp's native format is .XCF.

As far as finding the source of you problem, unfortunately I author images in the GIMP, and haven't
ever used Photoshop.

If photoshop can save in an "older" compatable format, try that first.  GIMP is more likely to read
older formatted PSD file than newer, as it's PSD support is primarily dependent on it's developers
reverse-engineering PSD file.

As a site note:  If you are creating vector-based images ala illustrator, there is a common, open
format save files in that is usable in any current vector based editor and that is SVG.

If your image doesn't have photos in it, or is not a pixel-based image, meaning it's lines, shapes,
gradients, text, etc...  SVG is the way to go.  If you are editing actual photos, then photoshop, or
the GIMP is better.

For an open source vector editing program, try Inkscape.  I do like it, but then again, I've never
used illustrator.

--
Aaron