WEBSTANDARDS Archives

December 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Brian Hayden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:21:53 -0600
On Dec 3, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Zachary Johnson wrote:

> That's interesting.  I could see a lot of demand for a unified way
> to create response content on community-based websites.  Especially
> if you didn't have to create another user login at each one.
>
> I am somewhat nervous of the web going in that direction, though.
> What if users *expect* a Google Wave-based comments/response system
> *but* Google Wave is actually way crappier than some competing
> product? Or isn't accessible?  That's going to be a very tricky
> thing to resolve as a developer.

I see this as by far the biggest and most troubling question. You
could draw an analogy to Paypal's control of the credit-card-
processing part of online shopping. Their problems are well-
documented, but unless you're a major retailer people expect you to
accept Paypal (in order to avoid giving their financial details to
every Tom, Dick, and Harry). Only thing worse than having that sort of
gatekeeper with our money is having one for our exchange of ideas and
technology.

-Brian