WEBSTANDARDS Archives

October 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Mark Engebretson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:02:20 -0500
How is using Flickr any different than embedding YouTube videos?

On Oct 28, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Nate Sigrist wrote:

> I do believe that using an outside source like Flickr would conflict
> with the U's terms.  What do you do if their site goes down?  Also
> be cautious of who owns the content.  Some sites take ownership of
> whatever is uploaded.  Have you considered using a local PHP install
> of Gallery? http://gallery.menalto.com/  I'm sure there are other
> options.
>
> Nathaniel Sigrist
> Web Developer
> Direct: 612-625-4118
> Mobile: 651-399-3486
> Email: [log in to unmask]
> Academic Health Center Office of Communications
> University of Minnesota
> Driven to Discover
>
> Learn how the AHC is discovering and delivering new treatments and
> cures at www.ahc.umn.edu
> Get our latest news by following us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/UMN_Health_Talk
>

> Karoline Dehnhard wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> If anyone has linked to Flickr I would be curious to know how. My
>> understanding is that they require that you either link to them
>> using a Flickr photo or Flickr badge (correct me if I am wrong). I
>> also want to know if there are rules about using a Flickr badge on
>> a U of M site since it is advertisement-like. Also, what exactly
>> does "for personal use" mean with regard to Flickr?
>>
>> I have many questions about other social media too! This would be a
>> good topic for a presentation.
>>
>> Karoline

Mark Engebretson, M.A.
Director of Electronic Communications
University of Minnesota School of Public Health
612-626-3750 direct
612-483-4235 cell
www.sph.umn.edu