WEBSTANDARDS Archives

April 2012

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Philip M Kragnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:36:55 -0500
I would advise against the use of any type of scanning technology.  Dirt, vandals, and any number of other factors can make QR codes difficult or impossible to capture and process accurately.  Even the height of the user -- 6'2" individual, 4'9" individual, individual using a wheelchair -- can negatively impact results.  Blind users have another set of issues with this type of technology.  I would go with a GPS location-based system, which would not be susceptible to the pitfalls I have listed.

Philip M Kragnes, M.S.
Computer Accommodations Program
University of Minnesota
McNamara Alumni Center