WEBSTANDARDS Archives

May 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Garrett Kuchta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 14:40:40 -0500
Hi,

I agree that having a centrally-supported repos is a good idea, but I
don't necessarily know if SVN is the tool I'd pick.  For common-good
utilities (like authentication modules, drupal mods, etc), managing the
branching/merging from a large swath of disperete developers could get
hairy.  I think something like GIT (http://git-scm.com/) or Mercurial
(http://mercurial.selenic.com/) -- something which makes
branching/merging less painful -- might be better at engendering a
shared sense of ownership.

Cheers,

Garrett