WEBSTANDARDS Archives

January 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:58:57 -0600
8bit
From:
Sara Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
This is mildly off-topic, but I have always had this fantasy that we
would move away from acronyms and start naming our URLs with actual
words.  Like http://minnesota.edu.  MCTC just did that a couple years
ago with http://minneapolis.edu - I don't have any research or anything
other than my own preference for this, partly because if someone outside
the system is talking to me and I have to tell them our web address,
"umn" sounds an awful lot like "umm" or "unn" and such and it's kind of
frustrating.

But I have no illusions that such a drastic change would happen,
especially without a public clamoring for it.  Just something I've
thought about.

Sara Hurley, MFA
612-625-7709

Web Coordinator