WEBSTANDARDS Archives

June 2012

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Peter Wiringa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:52:46 -0500
We're not proclaiming best practices so much in that section of the site as
we are just enumerating a couple of options.

That said, I think we all recognize that result quality from the search
appliance against large collections & clients is horrible at the moment,
and a site--or more limited--search would be advisable. I'm liking the way
both CLA and AHC are using tabs on some of their pages. Here's an AHC
example, that I believe is standardized across all of their pages with more
recent designs.

http://search.umn.edu/s/index.php?q=research&r=www.health.umn.edu&s=ahc&e=eAHC

The "All AHC Sites" and "This Site" tabs use AHC's frontend/client, so you
get a nice, narrower (better?) resultset and their keymatches are provided
in place of the U-wide matches.

--
Peter Wiringa
Electronic Communications/New Media

"I gotta hold on to my angst. I preserve it because I need it. It keeps me
sharp, on the edge, where I gotta be." - V. Hanna