WEBSTANDARDS Archives

January 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Zachary Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:52:29 -0600
Andre, I'm going to have to wholeheartedly (but respectfully) disagree
with you on some points here.

We *want* to be able to search department websites separately via a
search engine.  We also want to be able to search the entire U
collectively.  Sub-domains help us do both.

There could be 10 departments who want to promote content about H1N1...
if boynton grabs umn.edu/h1n1 first... what are all those other
departments to do?  boynton.umn.edu/h1n1, medical.umn.edu/h1n1,
cla.umn.edu/h1n1 is a nice solution to the problem.

I've never heard of anybody being scared of a subdomain because of spam?

Sub-domains are a fundamental component of DNS, the Internet, and the
World Wide Web.  They're no more out of vogue than the dot-com is.  To
quote a good point you made recently, Andre: people find stuff by
searching.  They might not even care what the URL is.  And people can
find what they need just as easily if the URL is umn.edu/foo or
foo.umn.edu.  Splitting up websites into separate subdomains of UMN.EDU
makes sense from a network infrastructure and information management
viewpoint, I believe.  We're bound to run into problems using third
party tools if all of our websites run as subfolders of www.umn.edu.
There's a lot of web technology that assumes different sites are on
different domains.

The U has far, far too many websites for us all to be subfolders of
www.umn.edu.

Zach

--
Zachary Johnson * Web Manager