WEBSTANDARDS Archives

October 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:24:45 -0500
8bit
From:
Shane Nackerud <[log in to unmask]>
John Starr of the UMWebStats group sent this message out a couple of
weeks ago:

"This fall, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) will begin
piloting new Web statistics software that will replace Sawmill. After
reviewing available options, OIT has decided to implement Urchin
Software from Google (http://www.google.com/urchin).

Urchin is much like Google Analytics but can be installed, hosted, and
managed by OIT. Below is a list of the added benefits of Urchin:

• Performance is roughly five times faster than Sawmill
• Report generation is much faster
• Can be tied to Central Authentication
• Allows for profile sharing
• Can collect data through page tagging as well as server logs
• Interface similar to Google Analytics

OIT will be able to convert all existing profiles over to the new system
and will also be able to import historical data. If you have any
questions or comments, please direct them to [log in to unmask] "

I also asked him if existing Sawmill profiles would be automatically
moved into Urchin and he answered in the affirmative (yes they would be).

 From what I've heard, I wouldn't be surprised if they have Urchin up
and running in pilot mode as soon as early November. Hope this helps!

Shane

PS -- By the way, I'm [log in to unmask]

--
Shane Nackerud