WEBSTANDARDS Archives

January 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Kristofer Layon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:42:02 -0600
Thanks for mentioning this on the list.  I'm very interested in
Concrete5 and have a test environment installed on my Mac, but haven't
had time to explore it much yet.

This is exactly the kind of option that would be nice to install to a
centrally-hosted environment.

But Drupal and Joomla may be preferred by others, so I think one of
the questions for OIT to solve is: can a hosting environment be
provided that would accommodate a variety of these kinds of tools?
And if so, would we do the base installs necessary, or is there any
efficiency in OIT doing more of that for us?  In other words, what is
considered infrastructure, and what is considered part of the
customer's responsibility to install and maintain?

And note that these questions, in my case, come from someone with
little server-side admin experience: I can use clients to get files
onto servers, but ask me to do much more than that and I'm lost.
Though I think there are a lot of us here with design / communications
as our background, rather than IT / programming.

Kris

Kristofer D. Layon
Director of Web Design & Online Collaboration
612.624.4545  :  [log in to unmask]  :  http://blog.lib.umn.edu/layo0002/work/
Office of the Senior Vice President for System Academic Administration
University of Minnesota Twin Cities
http://www.academic.umn.edu/system/