WEBSTANDARDS Archives

January 2011

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Shane Nackerud <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:34:07 -0600
Ann--

There are a couple of ways to be notified when someone posts and entry to
your blog.  One is through the MT-Notifier plugin.  Go to Tools -> Plugins
-> MT Notifier -> Settings and install the MT-Notifier Blog Subscription
widget.  Then, go into Design -> Widgets and (literally) drag the newly
installed widget into one of your widget sets.  People can then enter their
email address to be notified when a new entry is posted to the blog, you
included.  Give me a call if this doesn't make sense.

Or you could just subscribe to the automatic Atom feed created for the
blog.  That will do the same thing, except you have to regularly check your
aggregator for new entries then.  In fact, you could create a separate
Atom/RSS feed for each of your blog authors.  That may be overkill though.

Movable Type will automatically alert the author of an entry when a comment
has been added to that entry.  What Movable Type can't do (for now) is email
someone other than the author of an entry that a comment has been added.  We
could probably add a plugin for that, but honestly we've had some issues
with third-party plugins.  They are usually crappy.

Like I said, give me a call if you have any questions.  Hopefully this
helps.

Shane

--
Shane Nackerud