WEBSTANDARDS Archives

March 2012

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
UofMN Web Standards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:11:44 -0500
From:
Chad Fennell <[log in to unmask]>
"WordPress is a much better solution for simple sites, imo."

Right, the answer is "it depends," as with just about anything in this
domain.  Yes, for simple sites, it's great.  I use it (and love it)
for my blog.  I suspect WordPress will continue to get better at
larger, more complex deployments given its popularity...and then it'll
be more complex to learn ;P.

My own experience with Drupal was that yes, there was an initial steep
learning curve (more so than WordPress).  But now I find it quite easy
to implement a wide variety of sites and applications with it.  I am
pretty sure we'd be running into some significant problems extending
WordPress to handle our needs had we gone in that direction.  But, as
I said, we're probably different than most departments in this regard.

Of course, I am interested in lots of languages, frameworks and
technologies (heading to RailsConf in April), and one constant I have
observed among all of them is that there are tradeoffs with any piece
of technology you choose.  It's a matter of matching your needs to the
toolset at hand.

As for calling MySQL a "toy" database, well that is just dripping with
flame bait, and I won't take it :).

Cheers,
-C