WEBSTANDARDS Archives

December 2009

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:55:10 -0600
From:
Tony Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
I'm not sure Google has anything this "Big Picture" in mind for Wave. I think they may be using the Twitter model of development: Build something kind of cool and let users test it to find their own uses.

Right now, it just seems like email+. In other words, email with the ability to embed some neat widgets.

I've tried to use it like chat, and it's almost completely useless that way.

I've used it to manage a small project and it worked very well as a sophisticated to-do list with hierarchical "conversations" surrounding each bullet point. (A similar conversation over email might have spanned 50-60 messages and would be much harder to track.)

Anyone who has been in on the Twin Cities wave has seen what happens when a real critical mass of users is all on a single wave. It's white noise. One of the advantages of a forum is the ability to ignore threads you're not interested in. Wave tries to point your attention to every update.

I can see some good collaborative possibilities for small teams. As it exists now, I don't see it as a new paradigm or protocol to replace any existing web-based communication.