WEBSTANDARDS Archives

May 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
"Aaron J. Zirbes" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2010 10:26:28 -0500
U of MN Developers,

Is there anyone (besides me) out there on the list that feels that a
common-good SVN service would be a good idea?  Bad idea?  Not sure?

As a web, application and systems developer I feel that I couldn't do my
job with out a proper revision control system (RCS).  It gives me a
giant UNDO button for all of my projects to any commit point in time.
It forces me to comment all my changes.  It gives me the confidence I
need to make sweeping changes to a system without the worry of "how do I
undo this?"

Using SVN has become almost trivial as most development platforms (Adobe
Dreamweaver included) support SVN out of the box.

We run our own subversion (SVN) server at EnHS for our department's
needs, but I'd be willing to guess that most departments do not.

I know not all departments are large enough to support their own SVN
server, but I feel that any one who isn't using some sort of RCS in
their web development is suffering because of it.  It is putting
developers and their work at too much risk.  I think that all developers
at the U should have access to SVN, but for that to happen, U of MN
central would have to set it up as a common-good service.

--
Aaron