WEBSTANDARDS Archives

January 2010

WEBSTANDARDS@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Tony Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UofMN CSS Web Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:06:56 -0600
On Jan 22, 2010, at 7:29 AM, Samir Nassar wrote:

> On 1/22/10 7:06 AM, Tony Thomas wrote:
>> A Linux server with PHP & MySQL running would suit my needs pretty nicely. The bigger problem I've had in the past with central hosting is the level of access I was granted. It's essential for me to be able to log in via ssh and do a few things from the command line. I think I could get by without root access if I could "sudo" some commands.
>>
>> Another issue for me has been cost. Currently there only seem to be two options:
>>
>> 1. Cheap hosting with limited access that inhibits development and configuration.
>> 2. Virtual Server that is $300 per month (when I got a quote two years ago)
> Virtual Private Servers have come down dramatically in costs. For the quote you got two years can and do get hosting for close to a year that gives me all the benefits of having smart people manage the things I don't want to worry about (hardware, data centers, cooling) and let me worry about the things I like to worry about (Apache, MySQL, Postfix, PHP, and Content Management Systems.)
>
> There are several really good virtual server providers out there, but my experience has come from using only one and I am quite happy.

Do you have a virtual private server on campus? The $300/month price was from OIT here. I've seen virtual servers as low as ~$20/month elsewhere. If we could get something on campus in the neighborhood of $50-60 per month, I would be very interested in that.