ISHPSB-L Archives

March 2000

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 14:16:16 -0800
From David Magnus, <[log in to unmask]>:

The Penn bioethics web site, http://www.bioethics.net, announces a call
for papers.  The site's Ethics and Genetics Global Conversation was the
first bioethics site on the Internet and each paper posted there has
been accessed more than 600,000 times.  The site is featured on the
cover of Microsoft ENCARTA encyclopedia and its papers are frequently
cited in the peer reviewed literature and both individual papers and the
site itself have been used in college genetics and bioethics classes
around the world many times.  Papers on the site are written for a
general academic audience but must address controversial themes in the
development of genetic medicine.

Essays are renewed once every two years and eight papers are accepted.
The site features dialog between readers and essayists and is
occasionally opened to a live chat about themes discussed in the
papers.  Copyright is retained by the author and papers may LATER be
published elsewhere as long as mention is made of their presence on the
site.  Virtually every paper on the site has been published (afterwards)
in a peer reviewed journal in bioethics or medicine.

We are seeking papers of approximately 2,000 words (not much more
please) on issues of current and likely future interest and importance
in ethical discussion of genetics.  In particular we seek papers
concerning genetics and patenting/ownership, advances in transgenic
technology, stem cell research and technology, reproductive genetics,
informed consent for gene therapy, the future of germ line gene therapy,
and the increasing commercialization of genetics.  However, papers from
all relevant topic areas will be considered.

Papers are due April 15, 2000 and will be rapidly peer reviewed and may
be claimed as a peer reviewed publication in accord with ordinary
standards for web publication (more information and guidance on
request).  We anticipate that we will receive submissions by email or
emailed attachment ONLY.  Please do not attach files in Word Perfect
(TM) format.  Again, please do not send longer papers as these are for
web consumption; the 2000 word limit is intended as a helpful one for
the purposes of advancing this kind of educational and scholarly effort.