PUBPOL-L Archives

October 2000

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Sender:
PUBPOL-L Public Policy Network Announcement List <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ben MacConnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:00:00 GMT
   _-- Public Policy Network - Posting to [log in to unmask] --_

Hey folks,

I am working with a faith-based community organizing project in Louisville,
Kentucky entitled CLOUT (Citizens of Louisville Organized and United
Together, a part of the DART network). We are looking to hire and train
folks interested in a careers as community organizers. We are hiring for
lead and associate organizers in 8 different states.  Chances are if you're
interested and have the fire in the belly for this line of work, we can work
something out.

We are committed to looking for folks truly interested in a career in
organizing. The pay is relatively good. The training we provide is great.
And the experience of doing something meaningful, well, you know -- it's
what this is all about. We have a great track record for making things
happen.

We are also interested in doing some strong recruitment including site
visits, campus interviews, etc.

Please let me know if you have any leads for me. Thanks and please feel free
to write back if anything comes to mind instantly.

Thanks

Ben MacConnell
Community Organizer
CLOUT

Job Description Stuff:

ACOSA
Association for Community Organization and Social Administration

Organization Description

Citizens of Louisville Organized & United Together (CLOUT), was formed 9
years ago to build power among the low-moderate income community in
Louisville, KY. Currently, the organization is an active coalition of 30
religious congregations and neighborhood groups working together to
demonstrate power through people on issues of injustice. CLOUT is purposely
interracial, ecumenical, multi-issues, and focused on a direct action model.
CLOUT has made significant strides in addressing such problems as gang and
youth violence, drug trafficking, neighborhood deterioration, lack of public
transportation facilities, dangerous intersections in several different
areas, and inadequate public education policies and programs regarding
illiteracy and school suspensions.

In short, we are looking for someone with a fire in the belly about
injustice. Someone who will fight, persist, stop talking & start acting.
Everything else is negotiable. We will even train you as long as you have
this primary element.

The position is full-time and are available immediately, and on an ongoing
basis. Your fundamental responsibilities include:

o Have primary responsibility for working with member groups in
African-American and white low- to moderate-income communities;
o Develop working relationships with leaders in member groups, through
regular one-on-one contacts;
o Develop Leadership Teams in the member groups;
o Assist Leadership Teams in the development of an internal empowerment
process in their congregation/group, and in their work to build the
participation of their members in taking direct action on community issues;
o Perform related administrative and other duties as assigned