ISHPSB-L Archives

January 2001

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:09:54 -0600
From: Nathaniel Comfort <[log in to unmask]>
To: Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues:

The abstract deadline for this year's Joint Atlantic Seminar on the History
of Biology has been extended to February 15. Please email or send hard-copy
of your abstract to me at the address indicated below.

We have received the traditional contribution from the Dibner Institute in
support of graduate student travel. We are hoping to make this the best
JAS-Bio yet.

Best,
Nathaniel Comfort

Joint Atlantic Seminar
for the History of Biology

Call for Papers

The Joint Atlantic Seminar for the History of Biology will take place at
The George Washington University on Saturday, 7 April 2001. Graduate
students and recent graduates interested in the history of the biological
and biomedical sciences are encouraged to submit abstracts for
consideration.

This meeting, now in its thirty-seventh year, provides a unique opportunity
for historians of science in training to present recent findings in an
informal yet critical setting, before an audience of fellow students and
senior colleagues. A large fraction of today's leading scholars in the
history of biology gave their first papers at the Joint Atlantic.
Traditionally, every effort is made to defray the costs of attendance for
graduate students; this year will be no exception.

A welcoming reception is planned for Friday evening, and a banquet will be
held on Saturday, following the presentations.
Please send a title and an abstract to:

Nathaniel Comfort
Center for History of Recent Science
Department of History
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
202.994.3957

 <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
The understanding of the past is not so easy
as it is sometimes made to appear.
        --Herbert Butterfield

Nathaniel Comfort
Deputy Director, Center for History of Recent Science
Asst. Professor, Dept. of History
George Washington University
801 22d St., NW
Washington, DC 20052