ISHPSB-L Archives

May 2001

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 15:56:30 -0500
From: "c.g. winder" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, May 10, 2001 10:04 am
Subject: What is LIFE?

I notice that one of the sessions at the upcoming conference will
address this question - WHAT IS LIFE?

At the annual meeting at Brandeis University several years ago, I
organized a session on this question.  Preliminary actions over several
months were soliciting definitions from members, searching
dictionaries,and papers which had addressed this question in the past.
The discussion was most interesting.

After the meeting, I summarized, and proposed a definition, which was
published in the newsletter.  Some interesting(!) comments were
generated,including when the definition was published in the UWO  campus
newspaper.

Will send a copy if requested - <[log in to unmask]>. Maybe I should just
send out to the ISH list address.  Comment?

C. Gordon Winder, UWO Earth Sciences, London Canada
www.uwo.ca/earth/winder.htm