ISHPSB-L Archives

May 2001

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:22:46 -0500
From: Amy Rashap <[log in to unmask]>

THE BOOK DESCRIPTION:  (and a link to our web site page listing this book):

http://Rutgerspress.rutgers.edu/acatalog/__The_Emperor_s_New_Clothes_461.htm

The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium
Joseph L. Graves Jr.

Joseph Graves traces the development of thought about human genetic
diversity. He argues that racism has persisted in our society because
adequate scientific reasoning has not entered into the equation.  Graves
champions the scientific method, and explains how we may properly ask
questions about the nature of population differentiation and how (if at all)
we may correlate that diversity to differences in human capacity and
behavior. He also cautions us to think critically about scientific findings
that have historically been misused in controversies over racial differences
in intelligence heritability, criminal behavior, disease predisposition, and
other traits. Greek philosophy, social Darwinism, New World colonialism, the
eugenics movement, intelligence testing biases, and racial health fallacies
are just a few of the topics he addresses.

Graves's book has received excellent endorsements thus far:

"Intellectually delightful, and at times deeply moving, this book's
fundamental thesis is of outstanding importance.  The biological
non-existence of race is one of the most liberating messages that the
American public will hear in a long time.  It should be read by anybody who
is a registered voter in the United States." --Michael R. Rose, author of
Darwin's Spectre: Evolutionary Biology in the Modern World.

"The Emperor's New Clothes provides a lucid and stimulating history of the
uses and, mostly, abuses of the cultural and biological constructions of the
concept of race.  Professor Graves insightfully demonstrates that race
classifications cannot be biologically justified.  His book is eminently
readable and engrossing." --Francisco J. Ayala, Donald Bren Professor of
Biological Sciences and professor of philosophy, University of California,
Irvine

Cloth, $28.00, 0-8135-2847-X
252 pp.,  32 tables 15 figures

In theU.S., please order through Rutgers University Press--phone,
800-446-9232, FAX, 888-471-9014, or rutgerspress.rutgers.edu, or through all
regular and electronic bookstores. Mailing address: 100 Joyce Kilmer Ave.,
Piscataway, NJ 08854
In Europe, please order through Eurospan: 3 Henrietta St., Convent Garden,
London, WC2E 8LU, England
Ph: (20) 7240-0856; FAX (20) 7379-0609

Hope this information is helpful to you. Many thanks.
--
Amy Rashap
Marketing and Sales Director