ISHPSB-L Archives

May 2001

ISHPSB-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 07:24:28 -0500
From: Jesper Hoffmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Lamarck question
Date: Thu, May 10, 2001, 4:36 PM

Lamarck was definitely a materialist - and a rationalist for that.
But his reliance on "subtle fluids" as an explanation for the
"sentiment interieur" is of course hard to swallow today. At the time
however this was still acceptable  - for instance as a cause for
magnetism. See Burkhardt, R. D. (1977) "The spirit of system: Lamarck
and evolutionary biology" or his own work (in English): "The
zoological Philosophy" 1914).

--
Jesper Hoffmeyer
University of Copenhagen

Tel (work) +45 3532 2032 or (home) +45 4798 2578
http://www.molbio.ku.dk/MolBioPages/abk/PersonalPages/Jesper/Hoffmeyer.html