Meeting Information for ISHPSSB 2001 at Quinnipiac University

Chris Young <[log in to unmask]>

Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:00:25 -0500

From: Kathy Cooke <[log in to unmask]> and David Valone

Greetings ISHPSSB Member:

I hope you are anticipating a valuable and fun meeting at Quinnipiac
University next week.  As the time for the meeting approaches, I'd like
to update you on some details of the meeting, and ask that you submit
travel information forms (if you are not renting a car) and a housing
reservation form.  Please note that if you have received an email
confirmation from me regarding housing or travel, you need not submit
the information again.

Realize that CT Limo does not travel directly to Quinnipiac--for this
reason we are collecting travel information to try to help you get to
Quinnipiac as conveniently as possible.  We need housing information in
advance so that we can be sure the proper number of rental linens and
rooms are available.

Travel Information

If you have not yet sent in travel information and you are not renting a
vehicle or driving yourself, please do send in your travel information
now! The form is available at:

  http://server.phil.vt.edu/ishpssb/2001/limoform.htm

or you can send me your arrival and departure location, day and time of
arrival, and anticipated means of transportation to Quinnipiac.

The Local Arrangements Committee needs this information for several
reasons:

--the limo does not take passengers directly to Quinnipiac.  We have
arranged for a shuttle to run between the North Haven Holiday Inn (note,
this is NOT New Haven) and Quinnipiac on Wednesday from 2 p.m. to 10
p.m, and may arrange other times based on travel information provided to
us. If you are arriving at other times, we would like to know so we can
try to help with your transportation. Otherwise you will have to take a
cab from the Holiday Inn in North Haven to Quinnipiac University.  A cab
from the Holiday Inn in North Haven to Quinnipiac should cost about $12.

If you prefer, you may take CT Limo to one of the New Haven hotels and
take a cab from there to Quinnipiac University.  Cabs may be more
readily available in New Haven.  Metro Taxi, 777-7777, serves Quinnipiac
University.  A cab from New Haven Tweed or the New Haven Train station
will run approximately $25 to $30.

--we also need to inform the limo company of likely passenger loads and,
if appropriate, arrange for additional vehicles.

--we would like to help you arrange for direct transportation back to
airports on Sunday, but we cannot do that without additional
information.

So please send in your travel information!

More Details on Travel:

  --CT Limo does travel from Newark to the North Haven Holiday Inn
  --CT Limo does NOT travel from New Haven Tweed and the New Haven Train
Station.  If you arrive at either of these locations, please plan to
take a taxi (Metro Cab, 777-7777, serves Quinnipiac, $25 to $30 from
these locations).

  --CT Limo does not take reservations for arrivals.  The website
explains how to get the Limo when you arrive at the airport:

http://www.ctlimo.com/        and
http://www.ctlimo.com/airport.htm

  --signs marked "Quinnipiac University Conference" will direct you when
you
approach the campus.

Housing Information

If you have not received email confirmation of your housing reservation
and you intend to stay on campus, please do reserve your place now by
submitting the form found at this site:

http://server.phil.vt.edu/ishpssb/2001/dormform.htm

Or by responding to this email and indicating

--single or double room
--roommate, if desired
--your sex
--if you need a handicapped accessible room
--whether you smoke
--if you plan to bring linens or rent them at Quinnipiac ($18 charge)
--your arrival and departure dates
--if you would like the full meal plan

If you plan on staying on campus you should reserve your room in
advance.  We need to be sure that you have linens (if you need them) and
that your room is ready for your arrival.

Peabody Museum of Natural History Reception

We are very excited about the Friday night reception at the Peabody
Museum of Natural History in New Haven--thanks to the Program in the
History of Science and Medicine at Yale University for hosting!

Participants may take a bus to the reception; we also encourage those
who have rented cars to carpool down to the Peabody--about a 15 minute
drive from Quinnipiac.

We suggest that participants stay in New Haven for dinner.  Bus returns
are scheduled for 8 p.m., 9 p.m., 10 p.m., and 11 p.m. for just this
purpose.  As you consider your plans for the conference, think ahead
about the bus return time you are likely to choose.  We will distribute
tickets for the various return times so that we can manage loads.

New Haven has a number of excellent restaurants; it is a lovely place to
spend the evening!

Meal Change

Because of the Peabody reception we have cancelled Friday dinner on
campus and reduced the cost of the full meal plan accordingly.  However,
for those who prefer to eat on campus Friday evening, we will do our
best to help you find appropriate delivery food or arrange for another
meal option on campus.

Looking forward to seeing you next week!

Kathy and Dave

Kathy J. Cooke and David A. Valone
Co-Hosts, Quinnipiac University