Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ISHPSB-L Home

ISHPSB-L  September 2001

ISHPSB-L September 2001

4 pieces of info for ISHPSSB

"Roberta L. Millstein" <[log in to unmask]>

Intl Soc for the Hist Phil and Soc St of Biol <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:24:23 -0700

In this email:

     1. A note from your moderator
     2. ISHPSSB listserv survey (repeated)
     3. Chemical Heritage Foundation Fellowships
     4. A petition regarding the events of Sept. 11

--------Message 1 of 4: A note from your moderator---------

Dear ISHPSSB list members,

I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to our ISHPSSB survey so
far, and to remind those of you that have not yet responded that
there is still time to have your voice heard (the deadline is Oct.
1).  For your convenience, I have repeated the survey in message 3
below.

Speaking of previous messages to the list, I'd also like to call your
attention to the availability of archives of previous postings to
this list.  They can be accessed at:

http://mail.tc.umn.edu/archives/ishpsb-l.html

Finally, and on a more somber note, I want to express my condolences
to those of you who have lost friends and loved ones in the terrorist
attacks of September 11.  You will note that the fourth message of
this email pertains to a petition regarding the appropriate response
to this tragedy.  After a member requested its posting, I thought
long and hard about whether such a message was appropriate for this
list.  While I feel strongly that this is an international issue, its
relevance to studies of biology is less clear.  But perhaps sometimes
circumstances outweigh the rules we have set up for this list.  In
the end, I decided that it was better for members to see the petition
for themselves and to make their own choice.  I apologize to anyone
who feels that it is an inappropriate use of the list and let me
emphasize that it is not intended to reflect any official position of
the Society.

Peace,

Roberta Millstein
ISHPSSB list moderator

--------Message 2 of 4: ISHPSSB listserv survey (repeated)---------

1. The amount of traffic on the ISHPSSB listserv is:

     A. too much       B. too little       C. just right

2. I would like to see the ISHPSSB listserv send out (list as many as apply):

     A. ISHPSSB conference information
     B. Brief updates from ISHPSSB committees
     C. Position announcements
     D. Postdoctoral announcements
     E. Grant and funding opportunities
     F. Other conference announcements and calls for papers
     G. Brief queries from members on research topics
     H. Discussion of topics relating to the themes of the society
     I. Other (please specify)

3. The following scheme has been proposed for managing the ISHPSSB
listserv: when important Society news arrives (e.g., call for papers
for meeting, registration info, Grene Prize info, etc.), it will be
posted immediately, with a header indicating it is Society business.
When other items of general interest arrive, they will be saved,
posted as a group with headings only, pointing to a URL where more
info is to be found, if wanted.

I would prefer:

     A. The present scheme (all messages sent out in their entirety)
     B. The new, proposed scheme (only Society news sent in full; other
        messages sent as headings only with links to a website containing the
        full text of the messages)
     C. Some other scheme (please specify)

4. Other comments or suggestions:

Please email responses to me at <[log in to unmask]> by
October 1, 2001.  Thanks for your feedback!

--------Message 3 of 4: Chemical Heritage Foundation Fellowships ---------

Chemical Heritage Foundation Fellowships invites applications for
2002-2003 Fellowships

Fellowship opportunities are available at the Chemical Heritage
Foundation's Beckman Center for the History of Chemistry.  The Beckman
Center hosts scholars from all parts of the world through its fellowship
and scholarship programs.  It administers several different fellowships
for both the academic year and the summer.  They include six Academic
Year Opportunities as well as two Summer Opportunities.  Research Travel
Grants are also available.

Details of these fellowships can be found online at:

http://www.chemheritage.org/HistoricalServices/beckman.htm

or by contacting the Fellowship Coordinator, Chemical Heritage
Foundation, 315 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA  19106-2702; Fax (215)
925-1954; email: [log in to unmask]

--------Message 4 of 4: A petition regarding the events of Sept. 11---------

Please read the following letter, if you have a moment. I am hoping it
might represent the views of the majority of the academic establishment.
Please send it on to colleagues in the academic community. Ask them to
send a  signed copy back to me ([log in to unmask]), and to
forward it to their own colleagues, who might be interested. I will
organize the signatures and remove duplicates, if any:

Jordan B. Peterson
Department of Psychology
University of Toronto

To President G.W. Bush and the Members of the U.S. Congress:

The events of the past few days have made everyone understand how
vulnerable a free and open society is to mass destruction and terror.
But this terrible vulnerability is part of the strength of such a
society, not a hallmark of its weakness. It takes courage to allow the
free movement of people and ideas. That courage is predicated on
voluntary acceptance of great risk, and not upon ignorance of its
likelihood. The immediate response to such a catastrophe is anger and
hatred. But the system of laws that supports the US and its allies has
been designed by generations of great people to ensure that anger and
hatred are never given the final word. Justice, truth, and respect for
individual differences are principles whose power far outweighs the
thoughtless desire for revenge. More importantly, revenge breeds
revenge. It seems terribly dangerous to provide individuals motivated
precisely by the desire to increase pain and suffering the luxury of the
war they so much desire. Such a war turns them from rigid, totalitarian
cowards to soldiers; from failures who are willing to prey upon the
innocent to heroic exemplars of the fight against overwhelming external
oppression. The craven acts of terrorism perpetrated in New York and
Washington are dignified intolerably by their classification as acts of
war. The individuals who perpetrated these appalling events must be
regarded and treated as criminals, as international pariahs, who have
committed crimes against humanity, and who must be brought publicly and
rationally to justice. Our great technological power makes us
increasingly vulnerable to the rigid madness of the ideologically
committed and resentful. To turn against such madness with
indiscriminate revenge seeking is merely to react in the same primitive
and deadly manner. To risk the slaughter of innocent people in the hunt
for such revenge is to absolutely ensure that constant episodes of
international terror will come to be the hallmark of 21st century
existence. The entire world stands behind the US, in the hope that the
commission of crimes against civilization can be exterminated. Such
solidarity was absolutely unthinkable even fifteen years ago. The US
therefore has an  unparalleled opportunity to demonstrate its
unshakeable commitment to its own principles, particularly under such
conditions of extreme duress, and to provide the world with the hope
that democracy and freedom can truly rise above the parochial
ideological madness of the past. Such a demonstration would truly lift
the American state above all past national institutions, and would
continue the tradition of great spirit that allowed for the
rehabilitation of Germany and Japan after the Second World War. Perhaps
the events of September 11 might therefore be regarded as the last war
of the second Christian millennium, instead of the first war of the
third. In consequence, we implore you to react with discrimination, to
target only those truly responsible, and to avoid the cruel and
thoughtless errors characterizing humanity's blind and ethnocentric
past. Please punish only the guilty, and not the innocent. Otherwise the
cycle of terror that seems an ineradicable part of human existence will
never come to an end. Sincerely,

1. Jordan B. Peterson, Professor, Department of Psychology, University
of Toronto, [log in to unmask]
2. Daniel C. Dennett, University Professor, Director, Center for
Cognitive Studies, Tufts University, [log in to unmask]
3. Steven Pinker, Professor, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences,
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), [log in to unmask]
4. Hilary Putnam, Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, Harvard
University, Cambridge, MA, USA, [log in to unmask]
5. Nicholas Humphrey, School Professor, Centre for Philosophy of Natural
and Social Science, London School of Economics, Houghton Street,
6. Joan McCord, Professor, Criminal Justice Department, Temple
University, Philadelphia, PA, [log in to unmask]
7. Endel Tulving, Rotman Research Institute of Baycrest Centre, 3560
Bathurst Street, Toronto M6A 2E1, [log in to unmask]
8. Paul R. Lawrence, Donham Professor, Emeritus, Organizational Behavior
Unit, Harvard Business School, [log in to unmask]
9. Arnold Modell, Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical
School, [log in to unmask]
10. Janet Polivy, Professor, Department of Psychology, University of
Toronto, [log in to unmask]
11. Charles Helwig, Professor, Department of Psychology, University of
Toronto, [log in to unmask]
12. Chris Westbury, Professor, Department of Psychology, University of
Alberta, [log in to unmask]
13. George Mandler, Professor Emeritus, Department of Psychology,
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, Ca 92093
14. Jean M. Mandler, Research Professor, Department of Cognitive
Science, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093
15. David LeMarquand, Psychologist, North Bay Psychiatric Hospital,
North Bay, ON, CA, [log in to unmask]
16. Corinne Santa, Principal, G. Theberge School, Temiscaming, Quebec,
CA, [log in to unmask]
17. Jean R. S╚guin, Department of Psychiatry, Universit╚ de Montr╚al,
18. Myriam Mongrain, Professor, York University, Department of
Psychology, Toronto, Canada, [log in to unmask]
19. Romin Tafarodi, Professor, Department of Psychology, University of
Toronto, [log in to unmask]
20. Paul Wong, Professor, Trinity Western University, Langley, B.C.,
Canada, [log in to unmask]
21. R. Mara Brendgen, Department of Psychology, Universit╚ du Qu╚bec ř
Montr╚al, CA, [log in to unmask]
22. Jean Toupin, Department of Education, Universit╚ de Sherbrooke,
Qu╚bec, CA, [log in to unmask]
23. Richard W. Price, M.D., and Mrs. Ellen Price, Neurology Service,
Room 4M62, San Francisco General Hospital, 1001 Potrero Ave., San
Francisco, CA 94110-3518, [log in to unmask]
24. Raymond H. Baillargeon, Ph.D., Chercheur, Centre de recherche de
l'H┘pital Sainte-Justine 3175, C┘te Sainte-Catherine, Montr╚al, Canada,
25. David Pincus, Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Psychology,
Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio, [log in to unmask]
26. Mihnea Moldoveanu, Professor, Rotman School of Management,
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, [log in to unmask]
27. Gerald C. Cupchik, Professor, University of Toronto, Toronto,
Canada, [log in to unmask]
28. Bernie Schiff, Professor, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada,
29. Keith R. Happaney, Department of Psychology, University of Toronto,
Toronto, Canada, [log in to unmask]
30. Paul A. Spiers, Ph.D., Clinical Research Center, Massachusetts
Institute of Technology
31. Kathleen O'Craven, fMRI Scientist, Rotman Research Institute,
Baycrest Centre 3560 Bathurst St, Toronto, OntarioM6A 2E1 Canada,
32. Douglas F. Watt, Ph.D., Director of Neuropsychology, Quincy Medical
Center, Boston University School of Medicine, [log in to unmask]
33. Jean Rife, Department of Music and Theatre Arts, Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, [log in to unmask]
34. Robert Soussignan, Laboratoire Vuln╚rabilit╚, Adaptation et
Psychopathologie CNRS UMR 7593, H┘pital de la Salp═tri╦re, Paris,
France, [log in to unmask]
35. Alison S. Fleming, Department of Psychology, University of Toronto
at Mississauga, Mississauga, Canada, [log in to unmask]
36. Shitij Kapur, MD,FRCPC,PhD, Canada Research Chair in, Schizophrenia
and Therapeutic Neuroscience, Associate Prof. Psychiatry, Univ. Toronto,
Research Scientist, PET Centre, Section Head, Schizophrenia Research,
37. Stephen K. Levine, Professor of Social Science and Social and
Political Thought, York University, [log in to unmask]
38. James V. Wertsch, Professor and Co-chair, Program on International
and Area Studies, Washington University, St. Louis, MO 63130
39. Irving Zucker, Dept. of Psychology, University of California,
Berkeley, CA, USA, [log in to unmask]
40. Kay E. Holekamp, Professor, Department of Zoology, Michigan State
University, E. Lansing, MI, USA, [log in to unmask]
41. Eilenna Denisoff, Lecturer, Dept. of Psychiatry, University of
Toronto, Toronto, Canada, [log in to unmask]
42. Geoff Sayre-McCord, Professor, Dept. of Philosophy, University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA,

--
Professor Roberta L. Millstein
Listserv Moderator, International Society for

Snail mail:
Department of Philosophy
California State University, Hayward
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.