AMSA-LIST Archives

September 2002

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:45:36 CDT
Greetings, AMSA people!

As a preview of what we will discuss at a future "journal club" gathering
and to give you some background info. for the meeting with Apache elders
that will take place tomorrow at 7 pm (Moos Tower 2-620), here are some
links for you to check out about the Mount Graham telescope controversy and
the University's involvement in it.  Don't worry! They are a quick read.

I think we will plan on discussing Native American Health in general and
the Mount Graham issue in particular at the next(?) gathering.  But for
now, here are some web-sites that give some of the arguments from both
sides of the Mt. Graham issue.  We are privileged to have Native American
elders from both Minnesota and from the San Carlos Apache Tribe (near the
telescope site) that will be speaking tomorrow on "Spirituality, Healing,
and the Struggle to Protect Mount Graham".  It should be interesting.  I
hope to see all of you there!

Let me know if you find any other good sites.
Happy reading,
Aimee Engebretson
MS2

U of M sum-up of arguments, link to U of M Astronomy Dept.
http://www1.umn.edu/urelate/thesource/lbtproject/lbtproject.html

Mt. Graham International Observatory site--addressing cultural issues
http://medusa.as.arizona.edu/graham/cultur.html

U of M opposition, summary in Native American Press
http://www.thecirclenews.org/012002/news1.html

Mount Graham Coalition (opposing telescope) site
http://www.mountgraham.org/

Mount Graham Coalition in Minnesota
http://www.mountgraham.org/MN/

Quick summary of case against telescope