AMSA-LIST Archives

October 2002

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 11:00:03 CDT
Hey everybody!
  To the first years--CONGRATS on finishing anatomy!!!!
  We were all glad to see such a great turnout at the AMSA organizational
meeting at the end of September.  It is wonderful to see so many people
interested in working on and educating ourselves and others on health and
social justic issues here and around the world.  I apologize to those who
did not get food because it ran out before you got to the buffet table--we
were
not expecting such a large turnout.
  As you may or may not know, we have our first big event coming up this
week. On Wednesday, October 9th, Paul Farmer, a world renowned
physician/anthropologist and activist, will be in town, and we are
sponsoring a panel discussion that will feature him as well as other
physicians and epidemiologists who work in the field of HIV care,
bioethics, and epidemiology both domestically and internationally.

CRITICAL PERSPECTIVES ON HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS: A FOCUS ON HIV IN
RESOURCE POOR SETTINGS

Wednesday, October 9, 12:15-1:15pm, 2-690 Moos Tower (Please note room
change from CHIP newsletter)
Dr. Paul Farmer, a leading physician-anthropologist-activist who has
treated HIV and MDR-TB patients in Haiti, Peru, Russia, and the US will
lead an AMSA (American Medical Students Association) panel discussion with
faculty from the Medical School and the School of Public Health.  Dr.
Farmer will give a brief presentation about his innovative work treating
HIV patients in Haiti, and how to access medicines relates to health and
human rights.  A panel discussion will follow.  A Vietnamese/Chineses
buffet will be served to the first 200 attendees and we hope to start
promptly at 12:15pm, so come early to grab food and a seat or bring your
own lunch.

For further info, contact Quy Ton at [log in to unmask]

  Also, as our AMSA chapter begins to take shape this year, WE ARE LOOKING
FOR PEOPLE TO HOLD LEADERSHIP POSITIONS AND TO HELP OUT WITH UPCOMING
EVENTS (WHICH REQUIRES VERY LITTLE OF YOUR TIME).  We need:
  ****CO-CHAIR--a few people to help oversee all the happenings of the
organization, at least one first year, including checking in with the
journal
club coordinator, helping with fundraising, working on the lecture series,
and running meetings.
  ****ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE--a few people to come up with future project
ideas and work with others in AMSA to make them happen
  ****TREASURER--oversee the finances of the committee, only takes 30
minutes every two weeks
  ****FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE--a couple people to look over this and develop
ideas for getting money
  ****LECTURE SERIES COORDINATORS--a couple people to oversee a lecture
series and work with other people to plan it, each lecture will be followed
with a journal club meeting

We will also may have point people, depending on the level of interest for
the areas we are focusing on as a chapter this year which include:
Complimentary and Alternative Medicine, No Free Lunch / Pharmaceuticals,
Health Disparities, Health Care Access / Universal Health Care Access, and
Global Health / Human Rights.  I know many of you filled out interest
sheets at the first organizational meeting, and I have your info.  For
others who were unable to attend, please let me know what areas you are
interested in.

I also want to emphasize that you do not need to head up any of these
committees to be invovled.  Involvement can be as simple and as little time
consuming as coming to an event, helping out at a fundraising activity,
postering for an AMSA event, making an announcement in your classroom, or
coming to an organizational meeting.

People who are interested, PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA E-MAIL ([log in to unmask])
BEFORE OCTOBER 21ST TO LET ME KNOW WHAT AREAS/POSITIONS YOU ARE INTERESTED
IN AND THE LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE.  FEEL FREE TO TALK
TO ANY OF THE 2ND YEAR AMSA FOLKS IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS:
  Quy [log in to unmask]
  Amy [log in to unmask]
  Mandy [log in to unmask]
  Jessica [log in to unmask]
  Aaron [log in to unmask]
  Nicole [log in to unmask]
  Tonya [log in to unmask]
  Todd [log in to unmask]

Whew!!! That was a lot I know, so PLEASE contact me with any
questions/concerns.

Take care,
 Celia