AMSA-LIST Archives

November 2002

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:49:11 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_04F6_01C28BFD.C1C4EB90

Hey AMSA No Phree Lunch/Farmphree phanatics,

Below is an excellent report about patents, WTO and TRIPS.  Don't know =
much about the WTO or TRIPS? Then read below.  The TRIPS agreement has =
profound implications on access to medicines around the world, including =
AIDS drugs.

Today, I met with students and faculty (from public health, women's =
studies, global studies, etc.) who are currently in the process of =
convincing the U of MN to change its intellectual property policy to =
include an ethical clause on essential medicines, which will have a =
significant effect on U of MN policy regarding research, patents and =
access to essential medicines and may lead to other universities =
following suit.  They recently met with some big wigs on campus, VPs and =
VIPs of the University, which yielded some mixed but promising reactions =
from the University leadership regarding the current efforts to change U =
of MN policy.
If you don't know much about essential medicines, check out the =
following excellent Medicins Sans Frontiers website links:
http://www.msf.org/content/page.cfm?articleid=3D82D6EC2B-9E93-4672-9F3697=
B8F8829D36
http://www.accessmed-msf.org/index.asp

The work of this group overlaps with the No Free Lunch/PharmFree initial =
goal discussed at our first meeting last week to seek a U of MN policy =
change to reduce or ban the influence of pharmaceutical representatives =
in University hospitals (as we believe the current policy is at the VA =
hospital).  In speaking with the group, they welcomed and hoped for more =
involvement from the medical school, including students, faculty and =
administration as a broad base of support is needed to actually =
implement a policy change as there are many arguments for maintaining =
the status quo.  They also said that NFL/PF's policy goal and their =
policy goal could be made in conjunction as they continue to meet with =
policymakers at the U of MN.  They plan to meet soon with Frank Cerra.  =
Hopefully, we will also be able to meet with our new medical school =
Dean, Deborah Powell and other Deans to gauge their level of interest =
and support.  Some 2nd year medical students met with Dean Powell =
yesterday.  She seemed poised to make the U of MN medical school a =
leader and innovator of medical education and already identified some =
students who can help make this happen.

A couple members of the group have tentatively agreed to attend our =
World AIDS Day and No Free Lunch/PharmFree meetings next week so they =
can better inform us of their work in progress and discuss ways for us =
to work together.  Currently, they are both scheduled for Tuesday, 11/19 =
during lunch.  If possible, I think it would be a good idea to change =
the WAD meeting to Monday lunch because there is a lot of overlap of =
people between the two meetings and the HSFC lunch lecture on Somali =
health has been cancelled.  We will send an email by tomorrow if we make =
a change in the meeting date. =20

The group has also agreed to present a booth for our WAD commemoration =
on December 2.  They also plan/hope to have a symposium on effects of =
international policy property on access to essential medicines in the =
spring, which will invite prominent speakers from other universities =
that also are working to implement similar policy changes.  The group =
also recently submitted an editorial to the Daily.  I will forward the =
article as soon as I receive it.  Many of the group will be leaving =
after this academic year, so they are looking to implement or pave the =
way for changes ASAP.  We at the medical school can definitely help make =
this possible.

Fightin' the powers that be,

Quy

Hello.  We met at the AMSA meeting on essential medicines.  I have been=20
working with a small group of faculty and students to try to get the U =
to=20
change its intellectual property policy to include an ethical clause on=20
essential medicines.  We have just finished a series of meetings with=20
administrators, and will be strategizing at our next meeting about =
future=20
direction.  You may be interested in attending this.  We would certainly =

like your input, and your ideas as to any role AMSA may be willing to =
play=20
in this.

FYI, I am attaching an editorial that we wrote, which was published in =
the=20
Daily in October.  Also, I am attaching our list of web references if =
you=20
are interested in reading more background information.  I am sure you =
are=20
already familiar with most of it.

Meeting information is as follows:
      Thursday, November 14
      10:00 a.m.
      400 Ford Hall

I hope you can make it.  If you cannot, but are interested in being=20
personally involved, or in discussing possibilities for AMSA =
involvement,=20
please let me know.

Cheers,
-Greta