AMSA-LIST Archives

November 2002

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Yaw Joshua Rhein [log in to unmask]
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:28:51 -0600
AMSA film and book lovers,

I would like to add to the movie/book list a few that I think are really
great, albeit older (not outdated) and not particularly well known.  They
have the added advantage of being small, and easy to cram between studying.

Social Critic Susan Sontag's essay "AIDS and Its Metaphors" is usually
paired with the Related essay "Illness as a Metaphor".  These two essays are
filled with humane and original ideas about disease and the modern
condition.  Another book that I haven't actually read yet, but that has been
suggested to me is "My Own Country: A Doctor's Story of a Town and Its
People in the Age of AIDS" by Abraham Verghese.

Another good movie that I saw a few years ago is "Longtime Companion".  I
couldn't remember the name and had to look it up on Amazon.  Here is the
review they had:

The late director Norman Rene and writer Craig Lucas made a pretty fine
creative team on the stage and in the movies, and this 1990 drama about the
evolving impact of AIDS on gay New Yorkers is their best cinematic
achievement. The ensemble story follows the lives of nine or so characters
as word of the so-called "gay cancer" eventually becomes a real force,
killing several of them as the years go by. The film works well on a number
of levels, not least of which is the enviable closeness of the characters,
the script's wit, the bittersweet experience of loss, and a celebratory
attitude at the end mixing wisdom with defiance. --Tom Keogh

Try and check these out, and if you already have, I would like to discuss
them.  I have a copy of the books to borrow, and can tell you where to get a
hold of the movie.

Josh