PUBPOL-L Archives

February 2003

PUBPOL-L@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Tim Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:54:59 -0600
_-- Public Policy Network - Posting to [log in to unmask] --_

I am in the process of pulling together on fairly short notice, an
online STUDENT conference about the Transatlantic implications of
developments in Iraq. We are looking for instructors who would be
interested in getting involved in this project themselves or getting
their students involved.

We are particularly interested in additional European contacts.
Please contact me if you are interested, have any suggestions, or
questions.

     Tim Erickson
     mailto:[log in to unmask]

            Transatlantic Perspectives
            --------------------------
        A Transatlantic Student Discussion
        Concerning the Growing US / EU Rift
            About How To Deal With Iraq

        Tentative Dates: April 7 - 18, 2003

               Updated Draft Proposal
                   (Feb 27, 2003)

                    Introduction:

A number of people have personally expressed interest to me in making
an effort to engage STUDENTS in the EU and US in online discussions
of the format being used by TIESWeb and Politalk in our Transatlantic
Perspectives Forum (quarterly online citizen to citizen discussions).
For more info - http://www.politalk.com/topics/Iraq/

This proposal is to bring such an event together in a fairly short
time frame, so that we can use the transatlantic crisis around the
Iraq situation to stimulate this discussion.

This event would bring together up to 500 university students in the
US and Europe in an online discussion/conference regarding the
Transatlantic Rift over how to deal with Iraq.

The infrastructure exists to initiate this event within weeks,
ideally by the end of March or early April.

Our goals would be 45% of the participants from the US, 45% of the
participants from the EU, and 10% of the participants from other
parts of the world. Between 5 & 10 guest experts, would provide
background information and discussion questions for the event (with a
similar geographic distribution).

Students would be able to participate either via email or a web
interface. One discussion question would be introduced by a "guest
expert" daily for the course of the two week event.

A summary or transcript of the two week event will be compiled and
distributed to participants.

           Goals / Outcomes of the Event:

    - Resource for instructors and students that are involved
      in Transatlantic studies of many different kinds.

    - An opportunity for students who might not otherwise
      have the opportunity, to participate in a truly
      interactive transatlantic event on an issue of
      immediate and pressing concern.

    - To generate awareness among students of the growing
      transatlantic rift and its implications in both
      the US and European Union.

    - To generate an organized transcript/summary of the
      event that can be used by students and instructors
      in their classes and for deeper reflection/study on
      the opinions generated during the event.

    - To demonstrate and experiment with new forms
      and models of online interaction and their
      value as both educational tools and to facilitate
      citizen involvement in international issues.

    - To provide a Question and Answer forum, where students
      can ask questions about the rapidly developing events
      regarding Iraq and get quick and informative answers.

                    Cost Of Event:

We are budgeting $2000 for this program and are in need of 4-8
sponsors willing to contribute $250 - $500 each to help make this
event happen. Please contact Tim Erickson, [log in to unmask], if you
have any suggestions.

          4) Who is Involved - Updated List

    Franck Biancheri  TIESWeb
                      Transatlantic Information Exchange Service
                      http://www.tiesweb.org

    Tim Erickson      Politalk
                      http://www.politalk.com

    Brian Murphy      European Union Center
                      Georgia Institute of Technology
                      http://www.inta.gatech.edu/eucenter/

    Lydia J. Krise    American University in Bulgaria
                      http://www.aubg.bg/

    Michael Baun      Valdosta State University
                      Georgia
                      http://www.valdosta.edu/

    Charlotte Young   Co-chair of Sona
                      Student Organization of North America
                      http://www2.conahec.org/sona/

    Paulo Renato      European Student Union
    Ferreira          http://www.eu-studentvote.org/indexprimen.htm

    Leslie Eliason    Monterey Institute of International Studies
                      Monterey, California
                      http://www.miis.edu/

    Please feel free to distribute this to anyone who
                 might be interested.

            For more information contact:

                mailto:[log in to unmask]

Tim Erickson                    http://www.politalk.com
St. Paul, MN - USA                         651-643-0722
[log in to unmask]                         ICQ: 105978430

        Public Policy Network - PUBPOL-L
  Supported by the Public Affairs Student Assoc.
  Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs
           University of Minnesota
    http://www.hhh.umn.edu/pubpol/pubpol.htm
  Commands to:  [log in to unmask]
  Subscribe: SUB PUBPOL-L "Your Name"
_ Unsubscribe: UNSUB PUBPOL-L                  _