]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

AMSA-LIST Home

AMSA-LIST  March 2003

AMSA-LIST March 2003

[AMSA] Paul Farmer: NYTimes.com Article: Health Care for the Poorest as a Central Human Right

garn0051 [log in to unmask]

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:38:50 CST

Thought you all might be interested in this since we had Paul Farmer here
earlier this year...

> [...]
> detention. And it turns out that a number of people,
> including humanitarian groups from Europe and the United
> States, were giving the patient-prisoners the wrong
> medicines - cheaper drugs to which these epidemic strains
> were resistant. The only way to do the human rights thing
> is to do the right thing medically.
>
> As you often point out, though, even medical care is not
> enough.
>
> I joke around with my friends that after I did my
> infectious-disease fellowship, I had to go do my tin roof
> fellowship and then my dirt floor fellowship and then my
> clean water fellowship and then my girls' tuition
> fellowship.
>
> I went to a little town in rural Haiti a few months ago,
> and the village council told me their AIDS prevention
> project was to add another year to the local junior high
> school in the village because when kids go away to high
> school, they get pregnant or acquire H.I.V. Who knew that
> you couldn't get involved in H.I.V. prevention without
> worrying about whether or not kids had an extra grade in
> their village?
>
> As overwhelming as it is, though, looking back on those 20
> years, our own group, which is very small and underfunded,
> has helped build a hospital, open up new clinics and
> schools, done many water projects, supported equal access
> to schooling for poor girls and even managed to launch a
> program to use the most modern AIDS therapies in places
> where there are no roads or electricity or ready access to
> doctors.
>
> Does your devotion to the poor sometimes give people a
> moral inferiority complex?
>
> Sometimes, and I actually find it more than a little bit
> painful. I'm not an austere person. For me, an area of
> moral clarity is: you're in front of someone who's
> suffering and you have the tools at your disposal to
> alleviate that suffering or even eradicate it, and you act.
> I'm not recommending this work for everybody, but it's hard
> to turn back once you've seen it, and I've definitely seen
> it.
>
> How did you end up choosing this path?
>
> My father was not a very orthodox guy. We actually lived in
> a tuberculosis bus for 10 years. Back in the 60's, the
> public health service did TB screening with mobile X-ray
> machines. Then they sold them in public auction, and my
> father, then a schoolteacher, bought one and moved in his
> eight family members.
>
> When we were growing up in the campground, we were all sort
> of embarrassed by it, but I think all of us now feel
> grateful to my parents for having liberated us from
> middle-class expectations. This makes my biography sound a
> little too neat. I mean we grew up in a TB bus and I became
> a TB doctor. We worked picking citrus for about a
> nanosecond before my father admitted we could never make
> enough for us to live on, and years later I worked with
> Haitian migrant farmworkers. But it can be too neat and

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/29/arts/29QNA.html?ex=1050124801&ei=1&en=684
a3