AMSA-LIST Archives

April 2005

AMSA-LIST@LISTS.UMN.EDU

From:
Angie Fryer [log in to unmask]
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:35:38 CST
Hey all - an interesting lunch lecture coming up next week!

Here are the details...

Lecture (free lunch!)
Weds Feb 9 12:15 to 1:15
Moos Tower, room 2-530 East Bank U of MN

Dropping the Bidil Bomb: Race in Medicine

Recently, Bidil, a promising new drug developed at the U of MN, was shown
to play a significant role in reducing African-American mortality from
heart disease. But Bidil has now gained international attention as the
first drug that targets a specific racial group.

Hear how the next generation of medicine will change the way we think about
race.

Come and ask the difficult questions: How does Bidil work?  How does
genetics support race classifications?  Can drugs solve race-based
disparities in medicine?

Hear from Dr Anne Taylor, M.D., the principal investigator of the Bidil
study and
professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota Medical School.  Her
interests include women’s cardiovascular health, heart disease in
minorities

And from Jonathan Kahn, J.D., Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Law, Hamline
University, who writes on issues in history, politics, and law and
specializes in biotechnology implications for our ideas of identity and
citizenship.

Sponsored by American Medical Student Association and the Student National
Medical Association.

Angela Fryer-Bonta
University of Minnesota Medical School
651-336-7020